Saturday 8 June 2019

Tame Impala - "Lonerism" (2012)

Tame Impala is one of those critically acclaimed artists that I have never really listened to before, and with a new album on the horizon I thought I'd better check them out. Listening to both this and Currents, it was Lonerism which I gravitated to more. It's (slightly) less produced, more spacious sound reminded me more of the little I know of 60's psychedelia (basically studio years Beatles and early Pink Floyd, and that I don't know as well as I'd like).

Across these detailed but spacious tracks, different melodies and moments pop into the forefront and then fade back into the distance, leaving room for another idea to take its place. Kevin Parker's vocals sometimes glide above the tracks, and then without notice plunge deep into the mix buried in effects. I don't know if it is intentional, but his voice is incredibly reminiscent of the likes of John Lennon and Syd Barrett in places, which adds to the throwback aesthetic. The lyrics give off the general vibe of longing and loss, however they're never really the draw of this kind of music, and are here to serve the atmosphere rather than to be read into too deeply.

Be Above It sounds raw and primal with its repeated chanting, and all the opening of Music To Walk Home By for some reason gives me the feeling of diving headfirst into a swimming pool. The bridge on Why Won't They Talk To Me? also always grabs my attention as the track strips back leaving this groovy drum pattern and some very 60's sounding synths. Feels Like We Only Go Backwards catchy as anything despite all the psychedelia and lo-fi buzz on Keep On Lying's synths and guitars slowly mesh together, raising the intensity of the track over time. Elephant stands out from the rest of the tracklist as despite its psychedelic flourishes, it's very much a bluesy stoner-rock song at it's core with its chunky riff and thunderous drums. Unfortunately the last couple of tracks don't really stand out and just fade into the background, which is disappointing considering most of the tracks have something which grabs me and draws me in.

Psychedelia isn't for everyone, but if it is something you can dig, this is a great album to stick on in the background when doing something or just chilling out. The bright, summery atmosphere is perfect for this time of year (when the weather is nice, which isn't always the case).

Top Tracks: Be Above It, Endors Toi, Music To Walk Home By, Why Won't They Talk To Me?, Feels Like We Only Go Backwards, Keep On Lying, Elephant

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment